Sunday 5 October 2008

The house hunt

What a trouble it is to find somewhere to rent in London. I am a student, but feel as though I have been one long enough to qualify for a place without chewing gum trodden into the carpet and remnants of peoples names scribbled on the walls in tomato ketchup. 
 
Where do you start? Price? Convenience? Noise? Prettiness? Friendliness? What really is more important? The credit crunch may actually work in my favour in the case of price *gasp* . With more finding it difficult to sell houses, this has led to more people renting properties. In which case leads to more accommodation up for rent. And perhaps in addition there are fewer looking for rented accommodation as more students decide to live with parents in order to save money during these difficult times. So surely on that note, I have plenty of places to chose from at possibly lower prices.
 
I have looked at a couple of houses. One of which the landlady lived in with her 3 grandchildren and 6 other students and my potential bedroom was shown to be next to the main entrance. Noisy maybe? However it was very close to the tube station. Convenient I thought. And the landlady was lovely. Definitely friendly. In terms of prettiness and price, they scored average. 
 
The other house I looked at had... hardly any furniture. In fact my potential bedroom had none at all. It was a rather too healthy walk away from the tube station, had no internet, and was inhabited by fresher students who sounded subtly but concretely disappointed when I announced I was in my 4th year at university. I felt so old. 
 
So my search continues. Until then, I stay on the sofa bed in my relatives flat. At least it has furniture.

No comments: